This new 28,000 square foot two-story classroom addition to the Thomas Edison Elementary School campus replaces 14 old bungalow and portable classrooms. Designed to support differentiated instruction, the new building incorporates small group instructional spaces into the common areas to allow them to be shared by adjoining classrooms. The integrated lunch shelter and retherm kitchen, located on the lower floor, creates a new node of campus activity, while freeing up much needed outdoor play area and reinforcing campus circulation patterns.
The campus’ existing 1950’s architectural style is adopted by the new building, these features include: cement plaster, long linear roof overhangs with exposed outriggers and full height aluminum storefront windows. The new building’s facades are contextual, yet slightly more modern, by using exposed steel beams in lieu of wood outriggers. Ribbed metal wall panels add visual interest and help breakdown the massiveness of the two-story construction.