During the course of working with the 27-member Site Committee to modernize this historic campus, the testing and structural engineers concluded that two of the buildings were constructed of un-reinforced masonry. The school was immediately closed.
Taking into consideration the architectural significance of the campus to the community, BCA worked quickly with the committees, DSA, OPSC and the District and formulated two options within a three-week time frame: retrofit the two buildings or tear down and replicate.
With unanimous approval from all stakeholders, BCA was directed to proceed on 140,000 square feet of new construction. Design and construction documents were completed in 10 weeks and stamped out of DSA 6 weeks later, which allowed the District to receive additional state funding of $11.5 million for Facility Hardship.
The new campus is configured in a U-shape, thereby creating an outdoor student quadrangle on campus with the focal point being an open-air amphitheater. The new buildings are constructed using a structural steel frame system with the exterior skin designed with pre-cast concrete
panels and brick imbeds.
The architectural concept captures the original Tudor style architecture of the 1927 school with the recreation of the main façade (including the ‘drunken sailor’ brick pattern). As the new building wraps around the main façade, it transitions to a more contemporary architectural expression (less detail and running bond brick patterns), while being sensitive to the original